Friday, May 11, 2012

06 May 2012
0950

We talked with our friends from Boca Chica last night and all four boats left Ft. lauderdale at nightfall. They arrived this morning at 0730.

     POW-MIA in front, Fair Haven second, Flynnagin's Wake Third, Us fourth, Last Dance fifth
JonNe' departed the marina at 0710. We all wanted to transit the channel at Indian Rock. It is about 4 miles and is very shallow. Everything was timed around crossing it on a rising mid tide. That way we all would have a minimum of 3 feet below the keel (bottom of the boat). We were really nervous about this evolution, but the chart waypoints off our new Explorer Charts was dead on. I can't say that for our primary navigation system. I had to transfer the waypoints manually. Glad we did. Never saw less than 3 feet below the keel.

I was up much of the night wrestling with the engine issue. I realized I used the blower that was disconnected in the engine room for the Genset to remove heat from the genset case. Unfortunely, I didn't realize all of this time, that we really do need a blower for the engine room.mi will have to figure out where I am going to vent it. I will Los have to create a box for the hoses. Renne' was up at 4 am because I was restless, so wemweremable to compare notes. She suggested just leaving the doors off the engine room and opening hatches while we drive to add cooling through the boat-great idea when someone else jumps into the foray. We make a great team.

We had a two hour "what do we talk about. . . ." session last night. We haven't had one in a very long time.

We are headed for Great Sale Cay at this moment. I just put out a lure, so we are hoping to have fish tonite. I may have to find another one. I have them buried. I will have to figure out how to pack my fishing gear better.


                                                          West End to Great Sale Cay

Motor sailing right now. 1500 rpm. With the new prop we have to get used to lower rpm, better fuel savings and more sailing. This group is exhausted and trying to get to the anchorage. We will be anchoring in Northwest Harbor. It is a very nice natural harbor, ideal for anchoring. we should be there at this rate at about 1630 this afternoon.

                                        At Anchor Great Sale Cay-Det Boca Chica Buddies
Our plan is to put the dinghy back in the water on arrival and explore the island. Our friends Bruce and Gina made this transit back in January, but stopped at Mangrove Cay overnight. wish we could do that, but the goal is to stop at Green Turtle Cay so the others can check into accustoms and Immigration tomorrow. I have finally begun to realize. . . .

We are finally CRUISING,

No comments:

Post a Comment