Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Whole Lotta Travelin' Goin' On

Renne' and I are not sure if we are cruising in a sailboat or living in the car anymore!!  We got into Jacksonville on Friday and split up on Saturday headed in different directions.  Renne' went north to South Carolina to pick up our grandaughter, Payton, so she could spend a week or so with us prior to leaving for Houston to stay with the other side of the family for the summer.  I headed south for Key West to pick up the car.  We were both back by Sunday afternoon, exhausted. 

By Monday, we had received information regarding the rent house we have in Clear Lake, and realized we had to have some repairs completed immediately.  So, to save some big bucks, Renne', Payton, and I jumped into the car - AGAIN! - and another drive west to Houston. We are so thankful for our friends in Pensacola, Fl and Hammond, La for just being there and allowing us to intrude on their lives when we need them.

So we arrive in Houston and meet with Mike Womack, and by Wednesday afternoon we are hard at work on the Little House.  While I am waiting for Mike to accumulate the materials we need for repairing the cross beam supporting the front of the house, I get busy caulking and painting the garage/storage unit we have built on the carport.  Renne' bought 5 gallons of paint for the exterior, a can of paint for the two doors (a stylish red contrast color), a case of caulking, two outdoor lamps for the front and side of the house, and six light fixtures for the ceiling of the carport!  I wore through two fingertips making sure the seams of the Hardy Board siding around the house were sealed properly.  Then, following my brother, Dave's advice and spray painted the place with 3 coats of paint rather than try to hand paint the place.  Renne' painted the doors below.  While I was waiting for the paint to dry between coats, I installed the two outdoor light fixtures.

Thursday afternoon and Friday were spent removing and installing two treated 2 x 10 x 14' beams to replace ones that had dry rotted - can't understand why in the world they would have put untreated lumber up originally - a real head scratcher!  Friday afternoon and Saturday were spent installing two full french doors upstairs, and by Saturday afternoon I was too tired to move.

We didn't get to see too many people while we were there.  Our friends, Dean and Patty were our gracious hosts until Friday night (even they didn't see much of us at all) and Greg and Linda offered up their spare bedrooms until we left Tuesday morning after that.  We had intended on finishing everything up on Friday and leaving Saturday, but that got extended; by Sunday, I was so run down I wanted to rest; Monday I began feeling poorly so we didn't even get to see the fireworks; Tuesday morning we left for Florida; stopped at Loretta and Charlie's in Pensacola again; Wednesday I was really feeling low, so I spent the day in bed there - Sorry Charlie and Loretta; Thursday we stopped in Orlando to meet our friends Sherman (in from Houston for the Shuttle Launch) and his new flame Cindy; Thursday night while settled snugly into the motel, we received a call that Renne's dad had gone to the Emergency Room, so we left there to head for the hospital!

As I was still feeling a bit under the weather, Renne' spent the night in the ER with her dad and I tried to sleep in the car.  Actually that was better than the motel room we were staying in - Great choice Sherman!! LOL

This whole trip was centered around getting back in time to see the Last Space Shuttle Launch on Friday.  Renne's dad was put in a room to get him back in shape and Renne' chose to stay with him to make sure he had a patient advocate. Renne' sent me to the launch.  As important as it was for her, she felt it was more important to stay for his sake.

So the weather broke just enough for the Shuttle to launch.  Sherman, Cindy, and I were there to represent Clear Lake.  It was a glorious takeoff.  For me, it completes the circle!  I had the opportunity to watch the first test shuttle landing at Edwards Air Force Base on September 17, 1977.  Yesterday, I had the privilege of watching the last shuttle launch 33 years later.  I wonder how many others at the launch might have gotten to see the first landing!  Wow, can't believe it's been that long since my early Navy days as a young Lt(jg).

Renne's nephew, Fletcher, will be here tonight and her brother Cary will be here tomorrow, so I think we will start north on Monday morning.  Renne' would like to see Savannah, so that will be our first stop when we leave the St. John's River. 

So come join us tomorrow evening for sundowners and we will be happy to provide the drinks!

Jon and Renne'

No comments:

Post a Comment