Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Radar is BACK

First, and most important - RenNe' and I will be keeping our cell phones after we leave, but will be dropping the our minutes to a more conservative level.  We have a boat phone using Magic Jack.  THE NEW PHONE NUMBER IS:  864-498-4508.  Please put this in your cell phones.  Once we leave we ask you to try this number first.  If you don't get us, then try our cell phones.  Thanks

Well, today the radar antenna went back up the mast.  Our friend, Kent did a masterful job in controlling my ascent and descent of the mast.  Now those of you who have lots of experience with mast climbing probably don't have any fear of being up 27 feet (or 60 feet at the top) off the deck in a seat harness on a 1/2" line, but frankly it scares me half out of my wits.  Yeah I know, I am a fearless Navy pilot with 2200 hours of flighttime, and being at 10-15,000 feet is no problem.  But hanging on to mount the radar antenna is a totally different story!!  I really respect folks who do this for a living!  So anyway, we got the radar up AND IT WORKS!  The problem is that it probably didn't have to be sent in after all.  I found the DC power wires (positive and negative) as well as the shielding were corroded.  Fortunately, when I mounted the antenna originally, somehow I left enough extra wire up there to make so adjustments for corrosion.  Don't ask me how or why I did it, it was just dumb luck!  However the good part is Raymarine updated the software and firmware in the chartplotter controller so now it is good as new!

The other major accomplishment has to do with our electrical issues.  From the very beginning, there has been an electrical shortage between the batteries and the circuit breaker panel.  Consequently over the years, the one issue causing us a challenge in considering leaving for a crossing of the Gulf of Mexico (800 nm) has been the potential of running out of electrical charge and not being able to get it back.  Thanks to our friend Tommy, we were able to resolve this nagging issue Monday, completely.  So we are ready to go. 

With both of theses accomplishments this week, JonNe' is ready to make her crossing.  There are a few things we have to do over the next 10 days, but I am very comfortable with the shape JonNe' is in.  Now we are beginning to get EXCITED!!

Oh, I joined the ranks of RETIRED on Saturday.  I can't believe I am this F_____G OLD!  RenNe' has been drawing retirement from two of her previous employers and unemployment until we see fit to blow that off.  But we have our health, and are set basically for finances, and are covered by health insurance (thanks to 22 years in the Navy).

Another Spot report will go out soon, to test the ability of the unit to track our locations.  So, no we haven't left yet, we are close!

Best,

Jon and RenNe'

No comments:

Post a Comment