Thursday, January 6, 2011

Been to the TOP!!

Well, yesterday was an adventure.  I am in the process of adding a Single Side Band Icom 802 and a new VHF to the boat.  I have been dreading the idea of splicing in an insulated antenna to the backstay.  The other day, we had breakfast with Gary and Lorrie Powers and Gary recommended I install a random wire antenna instead.  That is just a piece of copper wire (marine grade 10gauge copper wire) run from the head (or top) of the mast to the new arch.  I had to think about that one.  I found some ceramic two wire insulators at a farm equipment store and a friend of mine, using our new electric anchor windlass, ran me to the top of the mast.  60 feet on the ground doesn't seem very long, but when you run up a mast 60 feet in the air, I get a LITTLE tense!!  I wish I had taken the camera up with me.  It is a great sight!  The problem as always is looking DOWN!

I had to drill a hole for a shackle to secure the insulator and attached wire to the top of the mast, then I figured since I was up there I would drill two more holes and install additional blocks (pulleys) so I can run lines down to the deck for extra sails, replacement lines, safety lines, etc.  So I added one to the front of the mast and put a line on it.  This morning I unpacked a spinaker I have had laying around for close to 12 years and ran it up the mast.  WOW!  I have added a great new drifting spinaker for light winds!!

My third project for the day was installing a new faucet for the galley.  Now it is not as intrusive (the galley is already small) and frees up room for two manual water pumps (one for fresh water and one for salt water) to use when we run out of electricity.  It is a safety thing.  Otherwise there is no way to access the fresh water in two 75 gallon tanks below the floor.

Beginning to install the VHF tomorrow.  Tonite I look for 100' of 2" copper ribbon to set up a ground plane antenna for the Single Side Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment