Friday, April 15, 2011

Leaving for Marathon tomorrow morning

Renne' is sewing new curtain covers for the shelves in the main cabin and has three of the four of them completed.  She has spent several days trying to get her Singer 604 (circa 1962) sewing machine to thread a bobbin.  Luckily, there is a former Pararigger here in the marina who sewed flight material for Navy aircrewmen for 25 years.  For a six-pack of Bud, he came over, showed us how go align the bobbin ring, found a spring that had become disconnected, and she is up and running.  It is good to see her occupied on a new hobby.  She has been writing, and as long as we are in port, she is hoping to spend an hour a day writing on her new book, The King's Payload.

I had to file for an automatic extension on income tax today.  We were a Sub-Chapter S corporation, and when I closed the business in January, I also closed my checking account.  I didn't realize I was not going to be able to get into my accounting data for taxes.  So I also had to send a formal request to reopen that information today.  Hopefully, by the time we get back to Houston at the end of this month, we can get both personal and corporate taxes done in a semblance of reasonable time.

I am reading a book that R received the other day. A Cruising Woman's Advisor, by Diana Jesse.  Always the inquirer into how to keep our marriage ticking along, I wanted to read something on a woman's point of view regarding this adventure.  We are both fortunate to look upon this as a great adventure and we look forward to exploration and new discoveries.  If it is a year or 10 years we plan to take it one day at a time.  Our frustration regarding this current engine and the cost of replacing it has been daunting for the past two weeks.  We were not expecting this type of expense at all, let alone a month into our cruising.  We realize we were late getting started this year and want to be someplace safe for hurricane season.  We think probably somewhere north of Florida will put us somewhere covered by insurance, but we also want JonNe' safe.  We really enjoy meeting people here in Key West and will miss it when we leave.  We will be in Marathon for about three weeks, but will come back down here until sometime in June.  Marathon has things to do and places to go snorkeling. 

I packed up the bicycles this morning, put them on the boat deck.  I have to secure the forward V-Berth as it has gotten rather haphazard in the past few weeks.  Renne' just called me in to see the results of her project, and I am delighted with the results.  They cover the shelves, so they fill Renne's requirements to have cupboard and locker doors always closed, and they are a great matching color.

Oh the exciting thing - we have several dock neighbors who have wireless battery operated door chimes - button on a post on the dock and the chime on the boat.  As we are pointed bow into the dock, it is neigh impossible to hear anyone beating on the boat to gain our attention.  So yesterday, R and I went in to Home Depot and bought one.  I installed it and drilled holes for screws in our boarding steps and cut an arrow out of some adhesive backed material (black) so someone will see the button as they approach the steps.  We also received a second door bell button from a neighbor which I will install in the cockpit.  Kent, Renne' and I found when we were offshore, it is almost impossible to hear someone shouting from the cockpit.  So now we can ring the door chime and occupants below should be able to hear it and come top-side.  Great idea if I do say so myself!!

So much for the rambling today.  See ya out on the docks

JonNe'

No comments:

Post a Comment