Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Bimini and School

Wed, 05 April, 2017

We arrived in Bimini, The Bahamas, on Wednesday,  April 5th, exhausted from the 27-30 hour run, depending on which of the 5 boats you were on. The marina was kind enough to drop off all of the paperwork we needed, and Renne’ and I jointly filled it out.  Did I say we were exhausted??!!??!!  Scott from Carpe Diem and I grabbed a taxi to the airport, and stopped first at Customs.  There I found out Renne’ and I both had missed blanks on the forms.  The lady customs agent kept handing the form back to me telling me to fill out those spaces marked in BLUE!  I had to tell her I was so tired from the crossing I was almost color blind!  Well that passed with little more incident, we both paid our $300 admission fee to The Bahamas, then went to see Immigration.  There I was informed Renne’ had not signed her admit form.  But after pleading with this guy, he told me to just sign it for her as she was my wife.  That worked.  We got our passports signed, and found the taxi back.

Upon my return, I had enough time to get to bed before I collapsed for three hours of much needed sleep.  Renne’ in the meantime, had taken a nap, and when I awoke, I found everyone poolside, enjoying early afternoon cocktails.  It was at that point, someone pointed out to us that we still had our “Q” (Quarantine) flag up on the mast.  Apparently, one of the dock-hands had questioned why one of the 5 boats was still under quarantine.  With a sly grin, I commented that I had run the Bahamas Courtesy Flag up the starboard messenger line just before coming to the pool, and we were now legal.

Back to our boats for dinner, and I think the entire fleet retired early.  Renne’ and I both slept 11 hours that night.

Thursday, 06 April, 2017

Renne’, Val Gross (crew aboard Carpe Diem), and John and Terry Hagerty (Scimitar) took the ferry from South Bimini over to the docks at North Bimini.  We walked down the narrow streets, looking at the other marinas.  When we passed the Mary Louise McDonald Government School where Martin Luther King had previously spoken, and where Renne’ gave her first two presentations to classes when we were here four years ago, Renne’ rushed off to see the principal about presenting again.  Weather was preventing us from departing any way.  We waited while she inquired, and headed up the road to BaTelCo to get new sim-cards for our cellphone.

Heading back, we wandered up the side roads to the Western shore of Bimini, stopped at a local bar for refreshment, then headed back toward the ferry.  We passed the Dolphin House, owned and built by Ashley Saunders.  He is the “Poet Lauriate” of The Bahamas, and traded his two volumes of his “History of The Bahamas” for a few of Renne’s children’s books the last time we were here.  He remembered her graciously.  He asked if we wanted to tour the facility, but for $20, and we kindly turned him down and headedback to South Bimini.  We all gathered at the Infinity Pool overlooking the ocean at the marina.  Pretty incredible.  I had never been in one.   It was a bit cool with the breeze blowing, so we left early and headed back to the boat.

Friday, 07 April, 2017

We were due at the school for a noon presentation.  We left a bit early (1030) to ensure we would be at the ferry (15 minute walk), and across the  waterway in time to walk the ¾ mile to the school.  Arriving 10 minutes early, the Principal commented that we were on time!  I have always told Renne’ I would rather be half an hour early than a minute late for an appointment.  I hadn’t considered he was used to “Bahama’s Time”!

The first presentation was to the 7th-9th graders.  They were a bit rowdy, but nothing Renne’ couldn’t handle!  Second presentation was to 10-12th graders.  Very well received.  Had more participation.  Some of the kids heading for college.

Back  to the boat to get ready to leave for The Berry Islands tomorrow.

Docktails with the entire group this evening.  Butterflied pork chops for us.  We leave at 0700 in the morning!


Sorry I wasn’t able to get this out in time to invite y’all for docktails, but perhaps next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment