Saturday, November 19, 2011

Philosophy - a lesson on who I am

First, I neglected to put a route summary of this leg from Charleston to Jacksonville up in the last segment, so here it is.  I have really enjoyed telling this story.


Yesterday, I jumped on an Air Force C-17 bound for Charleston about 3:30 pm.  I didn't get to Charleston until close to 11:30 pm.  What I didn't realize was there was a leg from Jacksonville to McDill AFB in Tampa; a leg from McDill to Homestead AFB in Miami; a leg from there to Dobbins ARB in Atlanta and then, finally, on to Charleston.  I hired a taxi to take me over to the marina at Cooper River to pick up the car, then booked a room at the Red Roof Inn.  I actually was pleased it was clean, relatively new furniture and shower, and a comfortable mattress!  We had accidentally left a dock line and Renne's meds were finally delivered there by mail at Cooper River and I had to pick up her contacts at a local optometrist.

While I was regaling the adventure about basically flying IFR into the St. John's River, I compared it to my flying helicopters for the Navy.  I realized while we were preparing for this adventure in 2010, that who I am is a compilation of what I have done in my life.  I was a helicopter pilot.  I could have requested jet powered planes or prop driven planes, but I chose helicopters.  For much of my Navy career, I was almost embarrassed about it.  Jet jocks looked down their noses at us as pilots who were third class citizens - we didn't fly as fast, or carry loads of weaponry, or catapult off carrier decks.  We weren't glamorous.  We just plucked them out of the water when their fancy jet engines failed or out of jungles and deserts when shot down, saving their lives.  While I was in flight training, I learned to shoot muzzle-loading firearms.  We didn't re-load fast, shoot loads of ammunition, or hit targets at long distances.  We weren't glamorous.  We just kept re-loading, shooting and building rifles and pistols.  And I am a sailor.  I love sailing sailboats.  They aren't as fast as power boats, they require a lot more work, and as the other hobbies in my life, sailboats aren't normally glamorous.

I discovered something about each of these other modalities.  Jets, modern firearms, and powerboats all have a purpose.  To get from point A to point B, do their business and return to point A.  Generally as fast as possible.  The destination is the goal.  What I discovered about flying helicopters, shooting muzzle-loaders, and sailing boats it that it isn't getting to point B from point A, it is the PROCESS of getting to point B from point A.  You have to work at it, appreciate it, and love doing it!

I was laughing about flying IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) on a sailboat complete with radar, route planning and following, and transponders; everything you need to fly in an airplane or helicopter under IFR conditions, all at 3 knots vs 180 kts or 300 kts.  One of the guys who was listening to our adventures said it was because I like it slow rather than fast.  I realized no, that had nothing to do with it.  It was the process not only the final goal.  The other guy said it was the JOURNEY, not necessarily the DESTINATION.  And that explains who I am.  I love the Journey, not just the Destination.

Renne' is much like me, but she enjoys the Destination a bit more than the Journey.  But we are good for each other, and as we mature in this role of Adventurer's and Sailor's we become GREAT for each other.

So we leave for St. Cloud Monday in preparation for Thanksgiving and we will be leaving for Key West the Monday after.  Our friends, Greg and Linda, have suggested they might get down here to Jacksonville before we leave.  We truly hope they do.  We enjoy having them as part of our lives.  Thanks guys.

So Sundowners at the docks tomorrow evening.  Let us know if you are coming.  We will have to meet you at the front gate of the Naval Air Station.  We will see you then.

JonNe'

No comments:

Post a Comment