Monday, August 8, 2011

Getting Ready to Leave

As I am writing this, I am scanning Renne's illustrations for her new Pre-K children's book, "Nighty Night Sailboat".  As I am waiting for each page to scan, I remembered I had not visited www.handleysail.com for a while.  Mark and Judy Handley have the same Tayana 42 we have, and on June 23rd, they finished their circumnavigation of the earth.  I have been following them religiously for the past 2-1/2 years, have looked at their recommendations for equipment and followed them when we could, read their adventures in the 35 countries, or political entities, they stopped in, and have used them as distant mentors in getting ready physically and mentally for our own adventures.  After all, they were our age when they left in 2005.  I even received an email from them when I asked for their recommendation for the engine for JonNe'.  They are back in Woods Hole, Mass, and I miss reading their daily notes regarding their offshore trials.  But in their log for June 23, 2011, the day they returned, Judy entered this passage - I am not sure she wrote it, but it explains why we are here.

On an ancient wall in China
Where a brooding Buddha blinks
Deeply graven is the message–
It is later than you think.
The clock of time is wound but once and
No man has the power,
To tell just when the hand will stop
At late or early hour.
Now is all the time you own,
The past a golden link.
Go cruising now my brother
It is later than you think.

 Our new friends, Nikki and Sam, whom we met on the dock the other day, have a blog, www.whatdreamersdo.blogspot.com in which we are privileged to be mentioned.  I am proud to pass her blog on, as she is actually earning an income from her talents as a blogger.  Thanks Nikki,


Jon Ne'

1 comment:

  1. Hey ya'll.. hope you're having a great time in Spain.. and watching Irene.. looks to be a wopper heading for the border of NC and SC...

    ReplyDelete